Wednesday, August 24, 2011

SUMMER'S END

Well, here it is, the 24th of August already and although we have had few really high-temperature days, the summer is flying by on wings.

As usual, I have done my share of secretarial hours at our local hospital, health unit, and home care offices. Seems everyone takes holidays except for my husband and me! I have been working on our company year-end as well and I am glad to say that by the end of next week, I can pack up all my stuff and take it to our accountant.

I have also been doing a bit of creative writing when the muse hits. I have two stories on the go at the moment (and several others that need editing) and I am gratful for that "me" time. It keeps me sane! It's so easy to lose yourself in the life of the character you have created and it always amazes me that each story tends to take me in a direction I never believed possible. Perhaps I'll start sharing some of what I've written, just to give you a taste of what I mean.

We've been so busy with work that we haven't spent a lot of time with family this summer. There were quick visits with my step-daughter and family from Grande Cache when they were here for a ball tournament on the August long weekend. My step-son (who lives in the same town as we do) recently returned from a second stint in Iraq. No, he is not in the military: he's an electrician whose company sends him over there to wire in heaters in the oil field. And I haven't seen much of my own children either. They all work, too, and it's hard for everyone to get away. However, this past Saturday, August 20, hubby and I drove to Lamont to share in a house-warming get-together for my son and his family. It's their first home and they are so excited about it. I am, too. It's the sweetest little house and I am so happy for them. At that party, we did get to see my elder daughter, son-in-law and grandson, who has grown about two inches since I last saw him at the end of July. He's 3 now and excited about going to pre-school in September. I definitely have not had enough time with family and I miss them all so much!

I will be away this coming weekend to attend a seminar for my NAIT program. About 20 instructors from various areas are getting together in Drayton Valley and I am so looking forward to this. Just think: no hubby who can't find anything, no bed to make or bathroom to clean, no meals to cook or laundry to do! Yipee! My classes will begin again on October 5 and I have already organized most of my materials. It's just a matter of getting the class list and getting started again. This will be my third year of teaching and aside from my writing, it is my greatest joy (career-wise, that is).

Soon, it will be September and our summer will be gone. I am hoping for a long and sunny fall and I hope you are, too. I hope you all had a good summer as well and we'll talk again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment