Sunday, December 18, 2011

'TIS THE SEASON

Time has gone so quickly this year. The months have grown wings and just flown on by. It's almost time for Christmas again, believe it or not, and I am one of those people who enjoys the season very much. I love the lights and the music; I cherish the memories I have of past years and I am very partial to how my house looks once I get the decorating done. I could leave it decorated all year long, it boosts my spirits that much!

Speaking of memories brought to mind the years when I was a child. We had some traditions in my home that may sound somewhat strange to others, but to me they still signify what Christmas is all about. Mom would bake and cook and the house absorbed the scents of ginger and cinnamon. Vanilla wafted by once in a while and we caught the occasional whiff of cloves.

Our tree was always a live tree and the delicious odor of natural pine is still one of my favorite scents. We had an assortment of odd decorations that ranged from huge, sparkling balls to small, Swedish flags. We had these old-fashioned strands of lights that glowed through the branches of the tree like so many twinkling eyes.

On Christmas Eve, we had a special supper which included some rather unusual Swedish dishes. My younger sister and I opted not to eat everything; we definitely had our favorites! Once the dishes were done and put away, it was time to await the arrival of the man in the red suit. The Swedish term for this gentleman is "Tompt" and we always went upstairs to hide in the attic and sing carols until Daddy joined us. For some reason, he always had to take a bath before he came upstairs. We'd sing a few more carols and then Daddy would consult his watch and say that it was time to go down and see if the "Tompt" had paid us a visit.

The excitement and anticipation I felt at that time still lingers with me to this day: I literally get butterflies in my belly when I see a lighted tree and presents waiting to be opened. Today, I wait for the lights of joy to come on in the eyes of our grandchildren. I listen for the whoops of pleasure when a wish is granted and strewn wrapping paper reveals a gift that is "just what I asked for."

It is also a time to remember how blessed we are in this land of plenty. We have so much and Christmas is the best time to share some of our "plenty." We like to support our local food bank. When I shop, I'll purchase an extra toy and leave it in the donation area at the store. I like to give my husband's cousin, who lives alone, a plate of cookies and banana bread. I try to stop by and visit some of the residents in our long term care centre. And I like to say thank you to the office administrator in my building at work, to my hairdresser, to the young man who changes the oil in my car and even to the postal clerks in my town. I try not to let road-rage get me and I stop for pedestrians who jay-walk.

Let's all share something with someone this year. It truly is better to give than to receive!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment